The Ice Age Adventures of Buck Wild is an upcoming 2022 American computer-animated adventure comedy film with a Disney+ premiere date of January 28, 2022. The film is a spin-off of the Ice Age franchise focusing on Buck and will star Simon Pegg as the title character. Unlike past installments, it will be the first Ice Age media to be produced by Bardel Entertainment and distributed by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures.
“Desperate for some distance from their older sister Ellie, the thrill-seeking possum brothers Crash and Eddie set out to find a place of their own, but quickly find themselves trapped in the Lost World, a massive cave underground. They are rescued by their one-eyed pal, the adventure-loving, dinosaur-hunting weasel Buck Wild, and together embark on a mission to save the Lost World from dinosaur domination.” —Disney+
- Simon Pegg as Buck
- Vincent Tong as Crash
- Aaron Harris as Eddie
- TBA as Manny (Cameo)
- TBA as Sid (Cameo)
- TBA as Diego (Cameo)
- TBA as Ellie (Cameo)
CEO of 20th Century Fox Stacey Snider announced that a television series based on Ice Age and centered around the character Buck is in development. With Disney’s purchase of Fox, it could potentially appear on the Disney+ streaming platform.
On the 25th October 2019, the site “Discussing Film” reported some news about a Buck spinoff television series on Disney+.
- “We have learned that Disney/Fox are in early development on spin-offs for the ‘Ice Age’ and ‘Rio’ franchises.“
- Blue Sky Studios is currently set to be the production company behind these spin-offs.
- “Per sources, we have been told that the ‘Ice Age’ spin-off will focus on Buck.“
- “It is currently unknown at this time if the actors that voiced these respective roles will be offered to reprise them for these spin-offs given how the spinoffs are in early development.“
In December 2020, in the Disney Investor Day livestream ,it was announced that a prior spin off television series had been redeveloped into a film titled Ice Age: Adventures of Buck Wild and that will have a premiere on Disney Plus. An unfinished clip revealed that the film will focus on Buck teaming up with Crash and Eddie for a new adventure in the Dinosaur World. In the official twitter , it was revealed that the movie will launch in early 2022: “The Ice Age Adventures of Buck Wild is the next installment in 20th Century Studios’ Ice Age franchise. It stars three favorite characters: prankster possum brothers Crash and Eddie, and swashbuckling weasel Buck voiced by @simonpegg. Coming to @DisneyPlus in early 2022.”
In August 2021, Batu Sener revealed in his social media that he was starting to record the score for the film at Newman Scoring Stage. A week later, he concluded the scoring sessions and also revealed that John C. Donkin is the director of the film. Sener had completed producing and mixing the film score at the end of the month.
On November 12th during Disney+ Day, a teaser trailer for the film was released.
- This will be Batu Sener’s first animated film score. He was working with John Powell (composer for the first three Ice Age sequels) as an additional music composer since 2015. Both of them are members of the music recording facility called 5 Cat Studios.
- This will be John C. Donkin’s first directional debut after working with Blue Sky Studios as a longtime film producer.
- This will be the fourth Ice Age film to have the score composed by a member of 5 Cat Studios. John Powell composed the first three sequels in the franchise.
- It was originally planned as a television series for Disney+ before it was being moved to a feature film for the same platform.
- Vincent Tong replaces Seann William Scott in the role as Crash.
- It is the first Ice Age feature to be produced by Bardel Entertainment
- This is the first Disney+ animated film to be based on a Blue Sky Studios franchise.